Sehedule@The Neuroscience Center, LLC
For out of town patients with Neuropsychiatric conditions, The Neuroscience Center (TNC) and Pathfinder Brain SPECT provide the opportunity of having a full evaluation, over a period of 3 days .
Example of Patient schedule
Tuesday: Patient arrives in Deerfield at mid day.
In the afternoon : first consultation with Steven Best MD , director of The Neuroscience Center
Wednesday: EEG and Brain SPECT are done in the morning.
Thursday: A follow up appointment will be scheduled in late PM . At this time you will meet with Dr.Best to review results and create the treatment plan.
Following this visit additional follow up-s are needed for further adjustments / optimization of the treatment plan . There may be a need to come back to Deerfield in 3-4 weeks or arrangements are made for the patient to keep in contact via Email and Skype .
Alternatively a 3 day schedule from Wednesday 9 AM to Friday noon can be made for patients who can only arrive late on Tuesdays.
- Your initial visit with Dr Best is for 45 – 60 minutes with a cost of $340. The procedure code is 99245. A deposit is required, per our cancellation policy, to reserve your appointment date.
- The last day follow-up visit with Dr Best is 30 minutes with a cost of $290. The procedure code is 99215.
- The following tests are most often performed (as determined at the initial visit or by previous telephone contact):
1. EEG (Electro Encephalogram) : $ 517. The procedure code is 95819 and is performed at The Neuroscience Center, LLC and read outside by Dr John Hughes MD, PhD a world renowned specialist in EEG.
2. Brain SPECT (Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography) : $2,275. The procedure codes are 78607 and A9521, and is performed through Pathfinder Brain SPECT, located on the same premises as The Neuroscience Center. Results are interpreted /reported by Dan G. Pavel MD . He is also reviewing the results with the patient & family , on the last day (after the followup visit with Dr Best).
– For unavoidable logistics reasons (very high cost of the short half life radiopharmaceutical 99mTc HMPAO used ) we require a $795 deposit at the time the SPECT scan is scheduled ; the balance is paid in full the day of the scan.
Requirements / preparation for the tests
For EEG :
- Hair must be washed (shampoo only) the night prior to the EEG. No conditioners, creams, oils, sprays, or gels should be applied to hair the night before or prior to the EEG.
- Patient must be sleep deprived (only 2-4 hours of sleep). This is usually sufficient to induce the initial stages of sleep during the EEG acquisition.
- NO caffeinated or carbonated beverages should be consumed after 6:00pm the night prior to the test (chocolate milk, tea, coke, soda, etc).
- The morning of the test the patient may have a normal breakfast, but NO caffeine.
- Please let us know what medication you are currently taking. Sleeping Aids may not be taken the night before and medications which are stimulants may not be taken the morning of the EEG.
For Brain SPECT :
- Day before and day of procedure: no caffeine, smoking or stimulant medications unless
absolutely needed and authorized by the prescribing physician.
- Brain SPECT scans are only scheduled on Wednesdays usually at 9:40am, 10:20am, 11:00am,