Steve Best, M.D. is Certified in Psychiatry, and completed a 2-year sub-specialty Fellowship in Neuropsychiatry of Children and Adults at Chicago Medical School. His professional interests are:
- Treatment resistance (for mood, pain, stroke, dementia, concussion)
- Disorders of learning/learning disability/developmental disorders
His medical degree was earned at University of Cincinnati. His Chicago Medical School Fellowship mentors were Michael Alan Taylor M.D as Chairman of Psychiatry & Dragomir Michael Vuckovich M.D. as Chairman of Neurology. During these fellowship he was trained in the application of functional brain imaging (PET) to Neuropsychiatry by Malcolm Cooper, M.D. and also provided Neuropsychiatric Consultations at Ann Kiley Center in North Chicago IL (a State of Illinois facility for the subset of Developmentally Disabled adults who suffer with severe behavior or psychiatric disorders). In addition, worked with a large Inpatient Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Group Practice. Dr. Vuckovich bequeathed his own private Neuropsychiatry practice to Dr. Best and the practice has been expanded in multiple ways. His intense training and expertise has enabled him to provide the highest level of neurological and psychiatric care to child and adult patients suffering from complex illnesses, treatment-resistance, and high-comorbidity disorders.
He has had post fellowship training in: Psychopharmacology and, is a member of ASCP (American Society of Clinical Psychopharmacology). He has benefited from unique training in Brain Stimulation by some of the founders of external neuromodulation. He acquired the scientific & clinical training relevant to rTMS (repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) in 1999 and later in VNS (Vagal Nerve Stimulation) in 2005 both at the Medical University of South Carolina in their Brain Stimulation Lab. In 2008 he was trained in the theoretical basis of & clinical application of tES (transcranial low voltage electrical stimulation such as tDCS, tACS, tRNS) at the University of Göttingen in Germany. Dr. Best is a member of numerous professional Societies.
His new projects include:
- His patented combination therapy to decrease the effects of chronic depression, substance abuse, and chronic pain by harnessing the synergistic effect of TMS or tES with infused ketamine;
- targeted intervention of the inflammatory aspects of neurologic and neuropsychiatric illnesses with immune modulation by direct application of TNF inhibitors; and
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in a custom designed multi-place chamber that can accommodate patients along with their own care-givers in our adjoining Hyperbaric Center;
- nutrition-based management of debilitation and inborn errors of metabolism
- Ketamine-Assisted Psychotherapy for trauma and recalcitrant psychological afflictions
Dr. Best is licensed in Illinois, New York, California, and Texas.
Visitors who viewed this page also viewed: